Subscribe Is Cryptocurrency Taxed? Skip to main content


How the Saint Lucia Citizenship By Investment Program Can Benefit Crypto Investors Seeking a Tax Haven

  Photo by yousef alfuhigi on Unsplash Cryptocurrency investors are always on the lookout for tax-efficient solutions to minimize their tax liabilities. One option that is gaining popularity among investors is the Saint Lucia Citizenship By Investment Program. In this article, we'll explore how this program can benefit cryptocurrency investors looking for a tax haven country. Saint Lucia is a sovereign island country located in the Caribbean Sea. Its Citizenship By Investment Program (CIP) was established in 2015, allowing investors to obtain a second passport by making a qualifying investment in the country. Saint Lucia's CIP has become a popular choice for high-net-worth individuals and entrepreneurs seeking a safe haven to protect their assets and minimize their tax liabilities. Saint Lucia's second passport permits travel to 145+ global countries visa-free, including the United Kingdom, Singapore, Hong Kong, as well as the European Union countries. The Saint Lucia pass

Is Cryptocurrency Taxed?

ABSOLUTELY. In many countries all over the planet, like the US, UK, Canada, Australia, the taxman charges for digital money exchanges.

Most countries, like Canada, tax cryptocurrency as property. Therefore as the asset appreciates in value and you sell for a profit or use it to purchase goods and services, the gains are taxed like capital gains. If the asset depreciates in value and you sell at a loss, you may be able to deduct the losses against other capital gains to reduce your taxes.

How much tax you pay depends on how much capital gain there has been on the asset, how long you have held the asset, for example, an asset held for over a year should be taxed at a lower rate. Each taxable event may create a capital gain, you need to know the date, cost basis, sale value, and any fees associated with each transaction. 

Use this guide for cryptocurrency users and tax professionals